Thursday, May 29, 2014

Being mental is an interesting ride through life...I'm Blessed

Yes, I know that I'm not being politically correct.  I don't feel like I have to be defined by terms and that I can embrace who I am... I don't have to embrace how those not in the "know" of being mental see me.  Have you ever seen "As Good As It Get's" with Jack Nicholson?  I don't have the outward idiosyncrasies (bringing my own plastic ware to restaurants or the "step on a crack" problem when walking down streets). I definitely DO process life a little differently.  I've seen a quote by an Autistic organization that says those with autism (not me)  may have a different operating system rather than different processing.  I'm not sure where I stand but I'm willing to boot up with my son any time.

One of my quirks is that I do have a strong stream of consciousness utilizing information/quotes/scenes from movies that I've seen, such as The Color Purple, The Princess Bride, Shrek, Joe Dirt, Kangaroo Jack, Hell Boy, loads of cartoon movies, (I'm sure I've watched more intellectual movies but the fact that I can't list them off the top of my head must say something...). Everything in my head leads to a thought of something else.  My thought processing is quite busy.  Its probably a wonder that I got through college but I guess my neurons have continued to ping through it all.

I live such a powerful inner life.  Its like I have my own "inner child" that views life in different, strongly colored, entertaining ways.  I don't hear voices, and I'm not stereotypically "crazy."  I do see others as being different, from me.  From age 12, I've known that I am living under a unique state of mind, I don't know yours but I can empathize if you feel "crazy" and feel that you are a bit different in how you think, act, or speak, then maybe you, too, can see that being different isn't a bad thing.  We are valuable human beings that make life worth living for those who are boring... :o)

I love me.  I love my autistic son.  I love my sort of "normal" fiance (yes, I just got engaged this week after being together six months).  He is fantastic.  Most people just see the regular guy, but he likes the same movies and we use "funny voices" based on what we've seen or how it fits into the situation that we have or are experiencing.   FUN!  He is my Mad Max, Master Blaster. I'm still deciding if he can run Barter Town. Awesome!

I have several labels but the one most socially acceptable is "Bi-Polar."  I experience very deep depressions sometimes and alternately, goofy highs.  My medications mainly treat the symptoms but I feel that some of the joy is sucked out.  I have to work very hard to avoid the leeching of my happiness.

I guess that is what we go through if we're mental or not.  We all struggle for our happiness not to be leeched.  Grab your happiness (of course, don't hurt others or yourself) when the opportunity exists. Celebrate those who think, act, and speak differently and use that special-ness to help others find happiness too.

I'm mental but its good.  I experience life in a new way every day.  I love me.  Do you love yourself, even if you're normal?  Ping those neurons!








1 comment:

  1. I LOVE to read your posts. You write so eloquently! I'm so happy about you 'n' Kevin! What a blessing for both of you. LOVELOVELOVE! Sally

    ReplyDelete